Friday, May 6, 2011

Over the Atlantic

That's where my sister is right now.  She should be landing in Stockholm about midnight.  She called from Chicago just to chat, which was great though I don't know how good of a chatter I was with Clare trying to pull the phone away from my ear. 

It hasn't really sunk in that she'll be gone an entire year (doing research and graduate work at universities in Finland and Sweden).  Our first Sunday dinner without her in her usual spot on the Isle Royale bench will be the first blow and I'm sure there will be many more after that.  Like no Laura at our annual Grand Marais camping trip on the 4th. 

But, thanks to technology, she shouldn't feel as far away as if this had all happened 50 years ago.  Or even 10 years ago. 

If you read this, Laura, we miss you already!  Hope your first week settling in goes well! 

1 comment:

HollyMarie said...

Oh wow, I didn't realize Laura was headed over there, and for a year to boot! Best wishes Laura, if you're reading THIS!

My cousin Stephanie Harmala is headed to New Zealand to study the Kiwi bird; she has a degree in Nature photojournalim. My what fun these girls are having! A lot different than being at home with a baby, isn't it?