I've been in the woods a lot this fall, which is exactly where I like to be. The fall colors were exceptional this year, and it has been nice to be out walking or standing among them. In the past, fall meant mountain biking. Now, the cooler weather and change of colors bring deer hunting.
In August, Matt bought me a Diamond compound bow for my birthday. During September, we were out target practicing. When bow season opened in October, we headed out to the 40 acres a friend of ours owns.
That first night we saw five deer, which was enough to get my heart pounding. My first shot at a deer happened much sooner than anticipated, only a few days later.
Moving slowly along a two-track four wheeler trail, I paused because looking at me from behind a clump of trees was a tall spike-horn buck. I froze and held my breath. He moved cautiously forward, not sure what I was. I was on a portion of the bike trail and he probably thought I was just another biker or hiker. I drew back, anticipating him walking forward into a clear area. He didn't and my arms grew so shaky from the weight of the bow and the tension on the string that I had to release it, quietly and carefully so he wouldn't hear the sound. I waited for him to walk onto the two track where I was standing. Finally, he moved forward, pausing about 25 yards away from me, staring. He was only partially broadside and I was inexperienced, so I took a shot. I heard the arrow strike the ground beyond him, and he bounded off. I trailed him a little way, trying to find another angle to shoot, but he only moved deeper into the woods. I found my arrow, which had merely skimmed under his belly, picking up a few small white hairs on the way.
Every time I go out, I learn another lesson in hunting. This one was patience. It pays to wait for a decent shot. I also should have learned not to draw back too soon, but I didn't. This would cost me another deer later.
No comments:
Post a Comment