Tuesday, September 8, 2015
First Day of Kindergarten
Clare's first day of kindergarten went much, much better than expected. For a girl who didn't want to go a week ago, she was all smiles and excitement today. (The Open House a week from now sealed the deal - she can't wait to show off her classroom to us and be the "expert" on everything.)
She didn't act nervous at all, but she did say "Mom, do you need a kissing hand?" (Anyone who's read The Kissing Hand will know what she meant.) She kissed my palm and I kissed hers and I noticed she made a tight little fist around that bit of mommy's love sitting on her hand. So cute. If I was the crying type I might have cried.
We had one minor mishap: the bus never came. Apparently there was some miscommunication and they never planned a stop at the house for this kindergartener. (They are supposed to pick up and drop off at the house for kindergarteners, rather than making her use the bus stop a full block away.) But Clare took it bravely. We waited until 8 a.m. and then I drove her up to school. She got to show Karl her classroom and play with him on the playground (which made her morning right there).
Here she looks a little apprehensive. But she came bouncing off the bus at the end of the day, saying "Mom, can I go back to kindergarten tomorrow?" And later: "I LIKE school."
I missed her during the day. Karl missed her. Life is very different (should I say a lot quieter?) around here without her. But she was so ready academically and emotionally and socially that it was not too hard to send her on her way. Time with her seems so short now though. I have a few hours in the afternoons and evenings and two days on the weekend and that's it. It doesn't seem quite enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment